Live View

Spot Overview:
Wind Forecast:

Wave Forecast:

Webcam:
Beachcam Praia do Cabedelo
Viana Locals Weatherstation

Description:
Praia do Cabedelo in Viana do Castelo is one of my absolute favourite spots in Portugal, if not in all of Europe. Few other locations offer such a diverse array of conditions. Whether you're a kitesurfer, windsurfer, surfer, or winger, there's something here for everyone!

In my opinion, the spot has two unique features that set it apart from others. Firstly, the beach is divided into zones. In the north, near-flat water conditions prevail because the adjacent mole blocks any swell. Meanwhile, in the south of the spot, you'll find waves. This setup provides an ideal environment for riders of varying experience levels to enjoy their time at the same spot.

Secondly, the geographical location is highly conducive to the formation of thermal winds. The mountain to the north of Viana do Castelo amplifies the wind. As a result, I've stopped relying on wind forecast apps for this spot. On clear days, there's almost a 100% chance that kite conditions will develop from 1 pm onwards. It's important to note that the wind behaves like a parabola. It starts picking up at 1 pm, intensifies, and reaches its peak around 4-5 pm in the summer. After that, it gradually diminishes. You need to be especially mindful of this during sunset sessions. I've experienced my kite dropping from the sky within seconds at 15 knots because the wind suddenly died. A very good indicator is the wind turbine located in the north. If it stops spinning, you should quickly make your way back to the beach!

Viana do Castelo truly offers a fantastic mix of conditions, making it a must-visit spot for water sports enthusiasts.

Video:
► Show more

Googlemaps-Link:
Praia do Cabedelo

Sport:
KitesurfingWindsurfingSurfingWingfoiling
YesYesYesYes
Wind-Direction:
N, NNW, NW and S

Wind-season:
April - September
Average 15-25 kts

Kiteschool:
Kitevoodoo
Modoexpertokitetrips
FeelViana
Duotone Pro Center

Surfschool:
XLIFE SURF SCHOOL

Beginner suitable:
Yes

Standing Area:
Just in the following Area: Standing Area

Deep:
Yes

Waves:
Yes

Wave-Season:
September - April is perfekt for Surfing
April - September average wave size is 1m or less

Toilets:
Public Toilets 1
Public Toilets 2

Parking:
Parking 1
Parking 2
Parking 3

Family suitable:
Yes

Camping:
Orbitur Viana do Castelo (Reviewed)
Parque Campismo INATEL Cabedelo
Estacionamento de Autocaravanas

Internet:
Mobile Internet in Portugal

Medical Support
Pedro Bizarro Saude e Bemestar Physiotherapy

Laundry:
ECOLAV

Restaurant:
Feel Viana Beachbar
Duotone Beachbar
Aquário Restaurant

4C9771A4-315F-41E3-96C4-D23882B3C25C.jpeg
79B48BC5-D668-4550-9026-516E5E11D584.jpeg
surferparadise.de - 2023 Rwal-6.jpg
IMG_6737.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjoying the content?
Help keep my caffeine buzz alive! Buy me a coffee!🤙