Favorite Spot: Viana do Castelo
Favorite Brand: Eleveight
Kite-Range: WS6, WS8, RS10, RS17
[Portugal] Lagoa de Obidos

Post by Fabian »

Spot Overview:

Forecast:

Description:
Lagoa de Óbidos is a beautiful spot located about 30 minutes north of the Peniche Area. It is excellent for beginners due to its large shallow area. There is plenty of space for kitesurfers. Windsurfing and winging are also possible here, but winger need to be cautious of the sandbanks.

I personally recommend that kitesurfers wear shoes or be very careful, as there are shells on the ground that can injure your feet. The launch and landing area is not very large, and it can get quite crowded when many kiters are present. Additionally, there is a plant I call the "kite killer," which is very sharp and can easily cut through your kite material if you accidentally land on it.

During the season, kite schools are always present at the spot, and I have always encountered friendly staff who helped me with launching and landing. On weekends, if you are a freerider, it's wise to keep an eye out for small fishing boats, as fishing and shell collecting are very active in Lagoa de Óbidos. These boats may cross your path, so always keep that in mind.

The wind is mostly from the north or northwest. While it is possible to kite with east or southeast wind, I do not recommend it because the wind is very gusty and inconsistent in those directions.

Video:
► Show more
Googlemaps-Link:
Lagoa de Obidos

Webcam:
-

Sport:
KitesurfingWindsurfingSurfingWingfoiling
YesYesNoYes
Inside the lagoon
Wind-Direction:
N, NW, E