Moderator-Team
Main Sport: Other Sports
Homespot: Guincho
Favorite Spot: Viana do Castelo
Favorite Brand: Eleveight, Fatum
[Travel] American Express Platinum

Post by Hannah »

! Message from: Hannah
I don't want to create any advertisement for AMEX or against it! I just want to share our impressions about the Pros and Cons of an American Express Platinum. In case you are really interested to order an AMEX you can use my Membership-Link

Is it worth spending 720EUR per year for an American Express Platinum?

That's what we, as a family, have been asking ourselves for a long time. Considering that 720EUR per year is an incredibly high price for a credit card, we deliberated over this for months. The result was always the same: before a trip, we pondered, "Should we subscribe?" During and after the trip, we wondered why we hadn't subscribed.

Cost and Value

720EUR is a significant amount and only makes sense if you utilize all the advantages of the card, which are primarily accessible to travelers. One thing we noticed quite early on is that the AMEX is not designed to accumulate Reward Points in your daily routines, such as going out for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or shopping for groceries. Due to its limited acceptance, it's challenging to find places where you can pay with AMEX.

Acceptance and Online Shopping

If you are an online shopper, you won't face this issue because of services like PayPal, etc. Most of the time, you will find a possibility to pay with AMEX.

Benefits of the Platinum Card

What made the Platinum Card interesting for us was the insurance package and the Priority Pass for lounge access in more than 1500 airport lounges around the world. It's important to note that Priority Pass doesn't own any lounges; they utilize lounges from airports or airlines, which sometimes restrict entry due to lounge capacity limits. This happened, for example, at the ANA Lounge in Lisbon:

Lounge Access with Kids

Sitting in a lounge is enjoyable for a single traveler, but it's a game-changer as soon as you have kids! In most lounges, you have access to free food, drinks, washrooms, a nice view of the runways, Wi-Fi, and, compared to public toilets, less crowded facilities. Traveling with kids is stressful enough, and this definitely helps!

Insurance Packages

Also, nice to have is the integrated health insurance and the insurance package for rental cars and luggage. For all the details, please refer to the insurance document (German version) provided by AMEX.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I will continue to provide updates on our experiences with the AMEX Platinum Card and how it integrates into our daily lives.
Enjoying the content?
Throw some coins my way so I can upgrade my coffee to a beer! 🍻