Main Sport: Kitesurfing
Homespot: Oostende
Favorite Spot: Viana do Castelo
Favorite Brand: Eleveight
Kite-Range: WS6, WS8, RS10, RS17
[Travel] Apple AirTag

Post by Fabian »

General Overview
I have been using AirTags for years, mainly placing them in suitcases, cars, bicycles, and other items I want to keep track of. In the case of suitcases, it has proven useful multiple times. When luggage was supposedly lost, I could tell it was in the airport building, and even pinpoint its location, thanks to the AirTag.

The principle of an AirTag is relatively simple. The AirTag looks for an Apple device nearby, whether it’s an iPhone, MacBook, or iPad. Without the user knowing, the AirTag uses the connection channel of any nearby Apple device to send information about its coordinates to the internet. This means that if an AirTag is near someone with an Apple product who passes within 10 to 15 meters, it sends its information, allowing you to know the location of the AirTag.

Additionally, I recommend setting the AirTag to Lost Mode if you are using it for tracking. This means that no one else can pair with the AirTag. Also, if someone finds the item with the AirTag, they only need to hold an NFC-capable phone over it, and your phone number or message will be displayed.

I can only recommend AirTags, but I must reiterate that anyone expecting a GPS tracker to monitor an item 3 kilometers out at sea will be disappointed. AirTags are not designed for that purpose. Originally, Apple designed AirTags mainly as key finders, but their applications are much broader.

How and why you should remove the speaker
If you use an AirTag to track items and protect against theft, such as bicycles, remember to open the AirTag and remove the speaker. The same applies if you hide AirTags in your car or suitcase. If the AirTag is in Lost Mode and another person with an Apple product is nearby, the AirTag will start beeping to inform them of its presence.
AirTag-1.png
AirTag-2.png

There is also a so-called "stalker" function. If an AirTag follows someone for five kilometers, the person receives an automatic notification on their Apple device that they are being tracked. They can then use the Find My app to locate the AirTag and make it emit a sound through the speaker. This is counterproductive if you are using the AirTag to track a bicycle, as the thief can locate and remove the AirTag. Therefore, if you are using it for tracking, you need to break out the speaker. This process takes no more than five minutes and can be done by almost anyone.

AirTags for Watersports
AirTags can be used to track your kitesurfing equipment, such as boards and bags. To attach them to a board, I recommend buying a small case like the one mentioned below.

Airtag Holder Pack of 4, Airtag Case IPX8 Waterproof with 3M Super
61f2U+sWMTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjoying the content?
Help keep my caffeine buzz alive! Buy me a coffee!🤙