Photographer
Main Sport: Kitesurfing
Homespot: Oostende
Favorite Spot: Viana do Castelo
Favorite Brand: Eleveight
Kite-Range: WS6, WS8, RS10, RS17
Splitboard: Does it make sense?

Post by Fabian »

Quick answer to the topic: In my opinion, absolutely not worth to buy a Splitboard and I can describe why not!

My idea before I bought the Flysurfer Trip was simple. Travelling without a 1.4m Kiteboardbag or Kitesurfboardbag. Especially if you travel with a toddler, it's nice to use the free luggage capabilities of the toddler for the Kite-equipment.

I checked the market and in the end, the Flysurfer Trip looked for me as the best option.
(If money isn't a concern, the Nobile splitboard is probably the better choice because you don't need tools to attach the foot straps, the handle and the fins to the board)

IMG_4538.JPG
IMG_4539.JPG

The Flysurfer Trip is identical in construction to the Flysurfer Radical Board except of course, the split function.

That's the reason why I compare these boards:

Radical 138 x 42.5 cm; 2,60 kg; Price(11.06.2023): 759,00 €
Trip 137 x 41.5 cm; 3,34 kg; Price(11.06.2023):1.129,00 €

Just these details are showing my biggest issue with the board. The split won't have the performance of a normal board because it has more weight and less flex due to the construction. You get a board that costs nearly 400€ more than the normal version with less performance.

In detail, the idea to travel light wasn't possible because it's not possible to put 2 Tube-Kites, 2 Bars, Harness, Impact-vest and the board in a 158cm checked-in luggage bag.

In the end, I had 2 bags(1 checked-in bag for the Kites, bars, the harness and the Flysurfer travelbag for the Splitboard) instead of one Kitebag which you can easily transport on the roof of the rental car.

IMG_6840.JPG

I'm fairly certain that some people believe you can travel easily with the equipment inside the Flysurfer travel bag, but have you ever witnessed how airport staff handle luggage? My travel bags are frequently damaged and sometimes they end up with cuts. It's not a wise idea, in my opinion, to place a kite without the Kite backpack in a soft-shell travel bag with the risk of damages.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjoying the content?
Help keep my caffeine buzz alive! Buy me a coffee!🤙