Introduction
Before ordering Starlink
Ordering Starlink
Delivery of Starlink
Setting up Starlink
Performance of Starlink
Useful Starlink 3D-Print-Templates

Introduction

Anyone who travels frequently knows the problem with internet availability. In the past, we always carried a mobile LTE router while travelling, into which we inserted a SIM card from the country we were visiting. However, especially in regions during peak season, there were frequent issues where the network signal was strong, but data transmission was poor. Additionally, we always had to purchase a new SIM card since they typically expire after a certain period. This meant, for instance, that every year we had to buy a new prepaid SIM card in Portugal before we could use it. The same applied to Spain and France, which led me, after reading and watching many reviews, to decide to give Starlink a chance.

In terms of monthly costs, Starlink is certainly more expensive than, for example, a prepaid LTE plan in Portugal. However, it offers the advantage of working across the entire European continent, being independent of mobile networks, and generally providing a much higher data transmission rate. It is also easy to use, which was the most important factor, as we do not camp 365 days a year, and it can be operated on a prepaid basis. This applies to the Starlink Roam plan, which can be paused monthly. This means that in the months when we are travelling and need the internet a lot, Starlink is simply activated. In the months when we do not need Starlink, it is simply deactivated and paused. Additionally, as of today, October 2024, the mobile Starlink plan costs 72 euros for 30 days of unlimited internet access.
 ! Message from: Fabian
Unfortunately, Starlink changed the Terms and Conditions in August 2024, which had a significant impact on how most Roam Plan users used the service. Previously, it was possible to travel across all of Europe with the Roam Plan for 365 days. After the update, you can only travel for 8 weeks outside the country where your account is registered. While this is still enough to cover regular vacations, it is no longer a suitable option for long-term travel.

Before ordering Starlink

20241019 Starlink Dishes.png

The most important things to clarify before ordering your Starlink module are which generation of Starlink receiver you want to order. Currently, three systems are available: Generation 2, Generation 3, and the Starlink Mini. There is also a Premium version, which I will not discuss further, as it is very expensive and not suitable for the average consumer.

Starlink Mini, which is a significantly smaller dish compared to Generation 2 and Generation 3. The biggest advantage of Starlink Mini is its ability to run via a 100W USB-C to DC cable, making it an all-in-one device with no need for an external router. The dish itself has a built-in WiFi 5 access point, and it also offers the option to connect an RJ45 cable to integrate it into your LAN. This dish is especially designed for those who like to travel light. However, the downside of the Starlink Mini is its lower upload and download speeds compared to the Gen 3, reaching 150-180Mbps, which is still more than enough to stream content.

Both Generation 2 and 3 have their advantages and disadvantages. You need to carefully weigh what is important to you. The biggest difference is that the Generation 2 dish has an automatic motor and a small stand, allowing you to place it on the ground where it will automatically align itself with the satellite. Generation 3, on the other hand, comes with a dish that has only a kickstand. You must place it on the ground and manually align it.

Another notable difference is size. Generation 3 is much flatter than Generation 2, but it has a larger surface area. A significant difference is in the routers included. The Generation 2 router does not have a built-in RJ45 port, meaning that if you want to integrate Starlink into a network, you need to purchase an additional adapter. Furthermore, the standard router only supports WiFi 5, which is not very strong and does not offer exceptional transmission speeds. In contrast, the Generation 3 router provides WiFi 6 in both 2.4 and 5 GHz, along with two RJ45 ports for input and output.

For campers, another interesting feature is that the Generation 3 router has an external power supply, unlike the Generation 2 router, which has an internal power supply. This makes connecting to a 12-volt network with a converter much simpler. However, the Generation 2 dish, due to its stand, is much easier to place on a caravan, motorhome, or an open area compared to the flat dish of Generation 3. As you can see, there is a lot to consider. I decided on Generation 3 mainly due to its improved router technology. I still need to figure out how to mount the Generation 3 dish on my caravan or VW California.

Ordering Starlink

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 17.08.13.png

There are ultimately two different ways to order Starlink: through the official Starlink website or via electronics retailers such as MediaMarkt or Saturn in Germany. I decided to order Starlink directly from the Starlink webpage. The process was relatively easy. After entering my personal details, you can check out and pay using Apple Pay, a credit card, or a bank transfer. Following this, you receive several emails, one of which grants access to your online profile. The first step is to set a password. Once that's done, you can log in. Upon logging in, you can see what you've ordered and the current delivery status, including whether the package has been shipped or is being prepared for shipment, and the estimated arrival date. Additionally, you receive another email a few minutes later, indicating the estimated delivery date of the Starlink module. In my case, the estimated delivery was within ten days of ordering.

Delivery of Starlink

Unfortunately, my first real experience didn't start off very well. Starlink gave me an expected delivery date of 7-10 days after I submitted my order and made the payment, but they missed this deadline without providing any information about the delay. After I opened a support ticket, they informed me that they didn't know how long it would take to deliver the system. After 4 weeks, Starlink Support advised me to order Starlink from an official retailer, which I did. The support team canceled my initial order and refunded the money. I ordered Starlink from FNAC, which promised delivery of the Gen 3 system in 2 days.

IMG_0996.jpeg
IMG_1011.jpeg
IMG_1020.jpeg

Setting Up Starlink

Setting up Starlink is super easy! The instructions in the package show you how to connect everything, and after downloading the app and following a few simple steps, your Starlink will be ready to use in less than 15 minutes.
IMG_1017.jpeg
IMG_1101.jpeg

Performance of Starlink

I have tested Starlink in various conditions, and I am still impressed by its performance. On average, I have had 150 Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload speeds. But that's just the average! I have also experienced download speeds of up to 550 Mbps.

What surprised me was that I could place the dish behind the windscreen without any issues. As long as the dish is roughly pointed towards the northwest, everything worked quite well.

IMG_1231 2.jpg
IMG_1190.jpg
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1170.jpg

Useful Starlink 3D-Print-Templates

StarLink Gen3 Router and Power Supply Brackets
Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.24.22.png
Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.24.54.png

Starlink Gen 3 Power Supply Wall Mount
Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.28.44.png
Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.25.42.png

Starlink Gen3 Pole Mount
Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 21.44.15.png
Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 21.44.26.png

Starlink Kederleisten Adapter
Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 21.45.03.png
Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 21.45.14.png

Starlink Gen3 Flatmount
Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 19.38.17.png
Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.16.15.png

Last update: 19.10.2024
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjoying the content?
Help keep my caffeine buzz alive! Buy me a coffee!🤙